SOUTH AFRICANS AGAINST DRUNK DRIVING is an NPO organization: Reg. No 055-255.
who are sadd?
SADD was founded by the Alcohol and Drug Educator and Counsellor, and Psychiatric Social Worker, Caro Smit, after her 23year old son, Chas, was killed in September 2005, by a driver who had been drinking.
SADD’s mission is to:
- Stop drink driving/walking
- Support the victims of this violent crime
- Urge the authorities to enforce the excellent Road Safety laws in South Africa
- Educate the public about alcohol and the harms caused by alcohol misuse
- Act as an activist to insist on our right to safer roads and the implementation of evidence-based practices
SADD is part of the “Decade of Action for Road Safety”, ‘MAKE ROADS SAFE’, and the International WHO NPO: “Global Alliance of NGO’s Advocating for Road Safety and Road Victims.
What do we do?
SADD’s work follows the recommendations and guidance of the United Nations Road Safety Council – UNRSC, Injury Prevention & Public Health section of the World Health Organization – W.H.O., Global Alliance of NGO’s Advocating for Road Safety and Road Victims – GA, Love30km campaign, Global Road Safety Partnership-GRSP, Johns Hopkins University Injury Prevention Unit, Global NCAP, iRAP, FIA Foundation, and others to work on/and insist on the implementation of the “Decade of Action for Road Safety – 2021-2030”, Vision Zero, Safe Systems approach, etc.
SADD is a member of the “Global Alliance of NGO’s Advocating for Road Safety and Road Victims”, and a board member of the “SADC Alliance of Road Safety NGO’s” and the “International Road Victims Partnership – IRVP”.
SADD is project based and in the past years have developed and run projects with special designed materials to be used by:
- Universities health workers and peer mentors “University Responsible Alcohol Use and Basic Road Safety programme” manual, posters, DVDs, Unit of Alcohol cards, fridge magnets, t-shirts, bumper stickers, drunk goggles, etc. For this project we received the prestigious Prince Michael of Kent International Road Safety Award in 2012
- Junior and High Schools “Alcohol, Drink Driving and Road Safety” manuals with worksheets, posters and DVDs
- Victims of drink driving – providing support, pamphlets and counselling to families. Assisting with guidance to about the Justice System, and referrals for accident reconstruction and attend or arrange protests outside court.
- Taxi Drink Driving project for both owners and drivers.
- Seatbelt use manual and DVD
- SADD acts as a media resource – providing statistics and information to all facets of road safety to the media.
why do we exist?
Every year in South Africa, about 14 000 people are killed and 150 000 injured in car crashes. 27 to 58% of these are caused by alcohol. Many of these victims are under the age of 30.This figure is predicted to rise by 80% by 2020. Pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists and runners i.e. VRU (vulnerable road users) are especially at risk.
The main problem is that the implementation of the South African drinking and driving laws are terribly forgiving. SA laws are among the best in the world. The South African Road Traffic Act allows a 10 year sentence for drink driving, removal of licenses, and a R120 000 fine, however the reality is very different, and tough and prohibitive sentences are not given.
At present most of the major role players in South African Road Safety are not effective enough. This includes the Government Departments such as Justice, the traffic authorities and the road users themselves. We have been described as a nation who has no commitment to being responsible for our actions on the roads. Until the laws are properly enforced, South Africans will still think it is acceptable to drink then drive, to not wear seat belts, to speed, and drive recklessly.
Section 21: 2006/024402/08
PBO No: 9300023011
21 Wireless Road
Western Cape, South Africa
Fax: 086 517 1373
Cell: 082 821 3673
SADD receives no government funding and relies on donations and sponsorships. Please consider a monthly donation. All donations are tax deductible and we can issue you will a Section 18A tax certificate.
Acc No: 1340 547 287
Branch: 13 40 25
Swift Code: NEDSZAJJ