Festive season statistics are an indication that the general public need to start getting involved with road safety
With the festive season statistics released, SADD send our condolences to the families of the 1755 killed. This increase was expected and predicted by road safety NGO's. There is no time to sit back and moan about the roads, Taxis and other drivers.
Now is the time for each person to take action and join us by following the Decade of Actions Logo of "Together we can make a difference"
How can you help?
1. Become a volunteer.
2. Speak to/educate the public, parents, SAPS and everyone to buckle up in the back and front as is the law and the safest thing to do(Manual & educational DVD available free from SADD)
3. Report dangerous driving or unroadworthy vehicles to 0865 400 800
4. Learn more about alcohol and drink driving on www.sadd.org.za or basic road safety on the NGO site www.arrivealive.co.za
5. Fundraise by giving up alcohol for February www.alcofreefeb.co.za
7. Refer victims of drink driving to SADD for support.
We ask the Department of Transport and Traffic Officers to concentrate on proven practices that reduce death and injuries such as testing for drink driving 24/7 365 days a year; having Traffic Officers on duty 24/7,enforcing seatbelt use front and back, removing unroadworthy vehicles off the road, penalizing unsafe passing, etc.
Do not wait until it is too late. Save more lives by being proactive.